Hundreds of resumes are rejected from a software called Application Tracker System (ATS) as they do not match the keyword frequency required for a role.
This leads to filtering in only those candidates who have done the transactional tasks multiple times or have worked on only certain set of tools required at the job. Some of the perfect fit candidates’ resumes are lost on this process.
Employers are highly focussed on getting the most competitive person with required set of skills that they fail to assess the candidate’s match of personal traits & ambitions with organizational culture, values & mission.
Inclination of a person’s professional interests, understanding of the type of work one likes to do, future goals vs previous experiences, the type of environment one likes to work in and understanding the thought process are some of the key things to take into consideration. Below are some of the crucial aspects to look at in one’s resume:
- How diverse is a candidate’s experience?
- Is there a story of accomplishments or progression?
- Any unique or extra-ordinary personality trait in one’s profile
- How words have been used to mention long story short
While conducting an interview, it is critical to assess if a person will be the right fit for an organization’s environment and matches the organizational goals along with having the right skill set and mindset. Following are some the parameters to assess in an interview:
- How is the body language of a candidate (aggressive, calm or neutral) and what is the requirement of the role?
- Assess the candidate’s ability to handle different situations, people, and projects by inquiring about past experiences
- Ascertain if the person has a willingness to learn new skills, technologies etc.
- Identify the adaptability of a candidate to check if the candidate can work in different situations and move out of the comfort zone
- Characterize the job description to assess if it matches the personality traits of the candidate
While hiring an employee, one should not look for a person as getting the tasks mentioned on job description to be completed. The process is more about identifying the person with right mindset and thought process. It is very critical for SMEs to hire the right candidate as one wrong hire can impact the growth and long-term sustainability of the business.